Overhead Valve (OHV) Engines
As the name implies, Overhead Valve engines (OHV) have the valves located above the combustion chamber, in the cylinder head.
The OHV layout permits
- smoother fuel mixture intake,
- quicker and more complete exhaust.
The increased combustion efficiency enables a higher compression ratio to be used. This makes it possible to obtain a greater power output and to avoid the build-up of carbon.
The OHV-design gives also an excellent thermal balance, which contributes to:
- Reduced cylinder distortion,
- Improved emissions performance,
- Deceased oil consumption and
- Increased engine service life.